Automobile Transmissions - The Model A Ford

My very first ride was a spruced up 1930 Model A Ford Coupe. The transmission was stock and the engine nearly so. It was not a "hot rod" by any means.

It was my "knock around" car as a High School Senior. It had its quirks, but I liked it very much. I think I liked it most because it was my first car. I purchased it with my own saved money, earned working 20 hours a week washing dishes in a local Hospital.

I didn't care that it didn't have an external engine oil cooler or Cruise Control. In 1961, I didn't even know what those things were!

I had driven my father's '52 Ford with the "3 on the tree" manual transmission. I liked it and could drive it well. The transmission was modern, with synchromesh rings that I took for granted - until I learned how to drive again in the Model A.

The Model A had no synchromesh rings in the transmission. Therefore, it had to be driven carefully, very carefully, to avoid damaging the transmission.

Essential to success driving a Model A was a technique called double clutching, combined with a keen sense of what was happening mechanically. It took some time to learn but, once learned, proved a worthwhile effort.

Basically, it was best to start the Model A in first gear. That prevented the multiple thrills of trying to put it in gear with the engine running. It could be done, of course, but why do it if it wasn't absolutely necessary?

Always wanting to make a first gear start also had an effect on where and how I parked the car. I always asked myself, "If I park here, how will I leave?"

I developed what I thought were an effective set of common sense parking priorities.

My first choice was to park the car on a slight downhill grade with plenty of room in front of me to roll easily out of the parking space onto the street. A variation on this was in a not-quite-flat parking lot where I could plan to leave my space first rolling then driving forward.

The parking lot alternative was starting in Reverse, backing out, deftly double-clutching my way into First and driving out into street traffic.

That situation was the very best and I was surprised at how many times I could actually make my first choice happen. Not all the time, of course. But often enough.

Shifting up the gears from First to Second to Third required constant care because the lack of synchromesh in the Model A transmission was unforgiving.

Up-shifting was a matter of increasing speed in First to a perceived shift point. At that instant, the clutch went to the floor while I simultaneously moved the shift lever out of First and into the Neutral "gate" where it would move freely left and right.

Then, as the engine revolutions per minute (rpm) slowly dropped with my foot off the gas, I depressed, and then released, the clutch pedal.

At just the right instant, more sensed than felt, the engine rpm was just what it should be to begin accelerating in Second gear. At that precise moment, I depressed the clutch pedal again as I moved the shift lever up and to the right. If I did it right, the transmission would shift almost silently into Second gear.

I would then release the clutch and, usually, accelerate again in Second gear.

The process was repeated going into Third gear.

1. Accelerate to a desired "shift point" speed in Second gear.
2. Simultaneously take my right foot off the gas while I depressed the clutch pedal with my left foot and, with my left hand firmly on the steering wheel, pulled the shift lever back to the Neutral "gate" area.
3. Then, while the engine was slowing down, I would again depress and release and depress the clutch pedal in such a way that,
4. The instant the clutch pedal hit the floor the second time, the transmission and engine speeds were almost always matched to the point that I could slide the shift lever to the right and back to Third gear. Then I would release the clutch pedal to find the car chugging proudly down the street in Third gear.

Cruising down a rural road or a stretch of CA 99 was a pleasure in the Model A. It was hardly a "performance" car, but the engine seemed like it would run easily as long as I could keep the gas tank replenished.

City street traffic or "stop and go" freeway conditions were a challenge. In those conditions, it was difficult to hold a fairly steady speed, in any gear, while I tried to keep shifting up or down to a minimum.

Modern cars, even the relatively few with manual transmissions, are not so demanding.

Michael "Mike" Newlon Retired in 2005 after a dual career in private sector corporate management and as a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army Reserve.

When he is not exploring current or former U.S. highways, like CA 99, in his Porsche 912 or Lincoln Town Car, Mike enjoys reading 20th Century history and popular action novels.

If you have questions about Michael "Mike" Newlon call him today: 760-636-5560
or visit his website http://www.highwaytripbooks.com/


Original article

No comments: